Sunday, July 20, 2014

Review: Incarnate by Jodi Meadows

Incarnate (Newsoul, #1)
Series: Newsoul #1
Genre: YA Dystopian Romance
Book Length: 374 pages
Publication Date: January 31, 2012
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Source: Library
Goodreads
New soul

Ana is new. For thousands of years in Range, a million souls have been reincarnated over and over, keeping their memories and experiences from previous lifetimes. When Ana was born, another soul vanished, and no one knows why.

No soul

Even Ana’s own mother thinks she’s a nosoul, an omen of worse things to come, and has kept her away from society. To escape her seclusion and learn whether she’ll be reincarnated, Ana travels to the city of Heart, but its citizens are afraid of what her presence means. When dragons and sylph attack the city, is Ana to blame?

Heart

Sam believes Ana’s new soul is good and worthwhile. When he stands up for her, their relationship blooms. But can he love someone who may live only once, and will Ana’s enemies—human and creature alike—let them be together? Ana needs to uncover the mistake that gave her someone else’s life, but will her quest threaten the peace of Heart and destroy the promise of reincarnation for all?

Review

The Characters:

Ana- This was basically Ana is the beginning of the book:




She was a very interesting main character. I really liked how descriptive she was when she described anything, and how she always asked questions and didn't just agree with something everyone else thought. I think Jodi Meadows was also really good at describing how Ana was feeling at a particular moment and why she was feeling that way. But, I had one problem with Ana. She was WAY too insecure!!! It made me want to do this to her:



Sam- He seemed like an okay character and I could see why Ana would like him, but I felt like he wasn't developed very thoroughly throughout the book. Unlike Ana, I couldn't really understand his character's motives or predict what he was going to do next. 

Steph- I know that she isn't a major character in the book, but I would've liked to see her more often throughout the book because she seemed like a fun character. 

Li- Towards the end of the book, I could kind of see why Ana was so afraid of her. I REALLY didn't like her at all throughout the book. She was such a cruel mother to Ana!
Li slammed her palms on the table, making spoons and bowls clatter as she stood. Her glare darkened. "Whatever you think you feel? It's not real. You're a nosoul. You don't feel. You barely exist. In a hundred years, no one will remember you were ever alive."



The Plot:
According to the blurb, the plot of the book is that Sam and Ana love each other, but the other people don't approve of them and will try to break their relationship. But I felt like that wasn't the plot of the book AT ALL! Honestly, for more than half of the book, I felt like there WASN'T a plot to the book! Around the ending, I felt like there was something that could be called a plot, but then the book ended like 10 pages after that!

The Writing:
I really liked the writing style of the author and how descriptively she talked about the setting of Heart through Ana. At some points of the book, the writing was so good that I could feel the same emotions as Ana. 

The Setting:
I could totally see how Heart might look like! The details of the setting were good and the subject of the book, reincarnation, was really interesting and unique too! I found some parts of the book weird though. Like how somebody could be reincarnated into a girl when they were a guy in their previous life. I found that part really creepy! Another part I found weird was when I found out that the people looked different in each of their lives. I don't know much about reincarnation, but I'm pretty sure that a person looks the same way in each of their lives, kind of like how it was in Fallen…


The Ending:
Wow. I did not see that coming!!!







2 comments :

  1. Hi! I wanted to let you know that I nominated you for the Liebster award :D
    Here's my post on it: http://myaddictionbooks.blogspot.com/2014/07/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete