Monday, August 18, 2014

ARC Review: Shameless by Nina Lemay

Series: N/A
Genre: NA Contemporary Romance
Book Length: 227 pages
Publication Date: August 18, 2014
Publisher: Self-Published
Source: Xpresso Book Tours
Goodreads
Girls like me don’t get happy endings.

I know what I am. At worst a cliché, at best a cautionary tale. I put an international border between me and my past, only to wind up working in a low-end titty bar. Even my excuse is as lame as it gets: I’m paying for college, getting my art degree from Montreal’s most prestigious school. Although some days it becomes confusing: am I just a student who moonlights as a stripper, or a stripper who masquerades as a student?

But the inevitable happens and my two lives collide. And now there’s one other person who knows both the quiet, antisocial Hannah and the sensual, shameless Alicia. One person who keeps my secret.

He’s beautiful, he’s sophisticated. He comes from the other side of life, the one where I’m not wanted or accepted. But he calls me la petite Américaine, and his hot, hot hands on my skin promise me things I long ago gave up on.

The problem? He teaches my Classic Photography class.

Review

When I first heard about this book, I was really excited to read it because its cover was gorgeous to me and because it was from the point of view of a stripper, and I thought that the book seemed really unique. And it was! Before now, I don't think I've ever read a book like this!

The characters of the book were amazing and really well developed! The main character, Hannah wasn't one of those predictable narrators that make the whole book so boring. In the beginning of the book Hannah was really suspicious of guys and she basically thought that all guys had evil intentions behind their actions. That made me become REALLY curious about why she like that. She had to make a lot of decisions in this book, and I was really impressed by her at certain points of the book. Her teacher and love interest, Emmanuel, is also unpredictable and he's so…sweet… :) And Emmanuel and Hannah together? They are awesome! I feel like they are almost perfect for each other! He understands how she feels when no one else does, and is he really stands up for her when no one else does. Throughout the book, I saw a lot of character development. Hannah learned to accept who she was and not to let what other people thought about her to affect her. Emmanuel learned that he could trust Hannah because she wasn't like a stereotypical stripper. 

There was a lot of romance in this book and there were some scenes between Hannah and Emmanuel that I found so sweet. I was surprised that there were some scenes in the book that make me go:



This book had a lot of dark thoughts and intentions. It was a bit unsettling at first and it made me a bit uncomfortable, but after I got used to it, I really got to enjoy the book. One problem I had with this book was that I was really curious about Hannah's past, but the only thing that was mentioned about her past throughout the book was Hannah's mother and there was just a little mention of something else from her past in the end, but it wasn't really detailed. Other than that, I really enjoyed the book and I would recommend it to people.



10 comments :

  1. I wasn't sure if I wanted to read this book or not but after reading your review I finally made my decision and now I can't wait to get my hands on this one. I really like books with a darker atmosphere and the story idea seems unique, at least I haven't read anything like this before.
    Great review!
    Veronika @ http://www.reading-is-dreaming-with-open-eyes.blogspot.hu/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad that my review made you want to read this! ^_^ I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. Great review! That cover is so gorgeous and I'll be adding this to my New Adult TBR pile :) btw I just nominated you for the Liebster award! Check out the link for more info: http://bibliophilebliss.blogspot.com.au/2014/08/liebster-award-nomination.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for nominating me! Hope you enjoy Shameless! ^_^

      Delete
  3. This sounds really intriguing! I haven't heard of it before, but Hannah sounds like such a strong character (despite the fact that she may not have much of a backstory), and I love the sound of the swoon-worthy romance. ;) Thanks for sharing and, as always, BRILLIANT review! <3

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha the story was intriguing and Hannah was a pretty strong main character! :)

      Delete
  4. I've nominated you for the Liebster Award - follow the directions on this link to learn more http://followtheyellowbookrd.blogspot.com/2014/08/liebster-award-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you've got another Liebster Award nomination, haha!
    The info/questions are on my blog: http://bookmarksandblogging.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete