Sunday, October 5, 2014

ARC Review: Queen of Someday by Sherry D. Ficklin

Series: Stolen Empire #1
Genre: YA Historical Romance
Book Length: 262 pages
Publication Date: October 7, 2014
Publisher: Clean Teen Publishing
Source: Netgalley
ONE GIRL WILL BRING AN EMPIRE TO ITS KNEES...

Before she can become the greatest empress in history, fifteen-year-old Sophie will have to survive her social-climbing mother’s quest to put her on the throne of Russia—at any cost.

Imperial Court holds dangers like nothing Sophie has ever faced before. In the heart of St. Petersburg, surviving means navigating the political, romantic, and religious demands of the bitter Empress Elizabeth and her handsome, but sadistic nephew, Peter. Determined to save her impoverished family—and herself—Sophie vows to do whatever is necessary to thrive in her new surroundings. But an attempt on her life and an unexpected attraction threatens to derail her plans.

Alone in a new and dangerous world, learning who to trust and who to charm may mean the difference between becoming queen and being sent home in shame to marry her lecherous uncle. With traitors and murderers lurking around every corner, her very life hangs in the balance. Betrothed to one man but falling in love with another, Sophie will need to decide how much she’s willing to sacrifice in order to become the empress she is destined to be.

In a battle for the soul of a nation, will love or destiny reign supreme?


Review

Let me start of by saying that I do not typically read historical romance novels. So I may have been a bit judgemental based on my preferences. However, this book did not seems like a historical romance because other than the dialogue, everything seemed pretty modern. 

For me, this book went through several phases. The first phase was the boring phase.

It was annoying how the main character, Sophie, was trying so hard to impress the empress and she just wanted to get to Peter because of selfish reasons, not because she loved him. Another problem I had with the first phase of the book and the main character: she had 3 different guys she was crushing on when she first met them! 3! What the hell. Is this a freaking love square?! And also: insta-love. Do I really need to say anything else?

The second phase was even worse than the first phase for me. Ok so the main character plays hard to get to attract Peter's attention. Yadda yadda yadda. Wait. Let's read that again: "the main character plays hard to get to attract Peter's attention." What does that say about Peter?

He wants what he can't get. If anyone with common sense knew that, they would get the hell away from him and avoid marrying him, right? But the main character apparently doesn't have common sense, so I'm pretty sure we can all guess what she did. And since we know this much about Peter's character so far, what else does he probably do? Well if he wants what he can't get, then he'll probably not want his wife after marriage because she is something has he "has" and he only wants things that are unattainable to him. Like other women. 

The third phase was the interesting phase. Things picked up a bit during this part and I went through this part quickly. I think this was like the only part that I actually truly enjoy in this book. But of course the thing that I did like, had to be over…at some point.

The fourth phase was basically the phase where the main character is full of sad emotions and is just trying to get past life with all her grief. I mean, seriously, just stop. Stop. Yes, I did feel bad for the main character but I personally think that instead of just moping around, she should go and…I don't know…? Do something about what was happen? Stop her marriage with Peter if she doesn't want to marry him? I mean, in the beginning she was brave and courageous, and then during the fourth phase she's all weak and mopy. Snap out of it and go and save yourself somehow! I really expected do that, but I was unfortunately disappointed

The last phase was the surprising phase. And by surprising I don't mean it in a good way. I totally expected what was going to happen after she and Peter got married, but I didn't really expect what happen after that, I mean, like where on earth did that come from?!

This book was not what I expected it to be. And I think I would have liked this book a lot more if the beginning and ending of the book wasn't there.


6 comments :

  1. The cover is so pretty... but it's too bad you didn't enjoy it. Great review though!

    Olivia @ Fictionally Obsessed

    ReplyDelete
  2. The plot sounds alright, but I don't read romance too much, either. So, I probably would have totally agreed with you if I read this book. I really dislike when the first phase of the book is the boring one. :(

    Great review-I just followed!

    hellostrawberrie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I really don't like the beginning to be bad because I personally think that a book's beginning has to be good because it is introducing everything. Thanks for following! :)

      Delete
  3. The synopsis sounded interesting, but I guess the book was not.
    I hate insta love.There is no chemistry or understanding between the couple, but they'll be in love immediately.
    Hope your next read will be a better one.

    Mishma @ As the page turns

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I hope so too :)
      I dislike insta-love too! It can be frustrating when the characters are in love right away! I mean it doesn't really happen like that in real life.

      Delete