Friday, January 23, 2015

Review: If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Series: If I Stay #1
Genre: YA Contemporary Romance
Book Length: 262 pages
Publication Date: January 1, 2009
Publisher: Speak
Source: Library
On a day that started like any other, Mia had everything: a loving family, a gorgeous, admiring boyfriend, and a bright future full of music and full of choices. In an instant, almost all of that is taken from her. Caught between life and death, between a happy past and an unknowable future, Mia spends one critical day contemplating the only decision she has left. It is the most important decision she'll ever make.

Simultaneously tragic and hopeful, this is a romantic, riveting, and ultimately uplifting story about memory, music, living, dying, loving.

Review

I was really surprised that I actually ended up liking this book! I don't know why exactly. Perhaps it was because I'm not a big contemporary reader, and I was expecting this to be one of those lame tear-jerkers, but I was wrong and I actually ended up enjoying it! I expected this book to have no plot, or at least a boring plot. I mean how can there be an interesting plot when the girl is basically deciding whether she wants to die or not? It turned out that the plot wasn't that simple.

If I Stay made me drown in emotions. I felt so connected with the main character and I felt like I could related to everything that was happening to her, even though I never experienced of the things that she did, at all. I was crying so hard throughout most of this book, and maybe it's because, I'll admit, I'm a definite book crier. I cry for almost every single book I read, even if it is not a tear-jerker. I mean, I cry so much while reading books, that I have a shelf on Goodreads that I use to classify which books I cried in while reading it! But this book was a definite tear-jerker. The writing style made the book so heart breaking and beautiful descriptive. 

One thing I was really relieved about when I read If I Stay was that I didn't hate the main character. Like I said before, I read with book with extremely low expectations, and one thing I expected was an annoying main character. But I actually really liked Mia! She was a great main character. She wasn't whiny and she didn't complain too much. She was a bit indecisive, but she has a good reason for it because it's a pretty hard decision when you are deciding whether you want to die or live when you're in her situation. Another thing I loved about Mia was her passion for music. She clearly loved playing the cello and she clearly wanted to presue a musical career, and I loved how she described music. I'm not a music person. I have no musical talent and the only instrument I ever learned how to play was the recorder, and the only songs I knew how to play were Hot Cross Buns and Mary Had a Little Lamb. Oh and the piano, but I only knew how to play Do, Ray, Me, Fa, Sol, La, Ti, and Do, so I don't think that really counts....And even though, I don't really understand music and all, I loved music through Mia! She just made it seem so amazing! And music was a really important part of this book, so it's a good thing that I didn't hate the music aspect of it XD

Another character I really liked in this book was Adam. He was really sweet and just so amazing! But, I didn't exactly love him in this book. I don't know exactly why, but I really liked him and all, but not love. I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't really like him as much I could've, because he seems like a really awesome person. I think the reason might be because I couldn't really connect with him, but other than that, Adam was amazing. 

I really enjoyed this book, and I can't wait to read Where She Went soon :)