Sunday, February 15, 2015

ARC Review: Since You've Been Gone by Mary Jennifer Payne

Series: N/A
Genre: YA Contemporary
Book Length: 224 pages
Publication Date: February 17, 2015
Publisher: Dundurn Group
Source: Netgalley
Goodreads
Is it possible to outrun your past? Fifteen-year-old Edie Fraser and her mother, Sydney, have been trying to do just that for five years. Now, things have gone from bad to worse. Not only has Edie had to move to another new school she's in a different country. 

Sydney promises her that that this is their chance at a fresh start, and Edie does her best to adjust to life in London, England, despite being targeted by the school bully. But when Sydney goes out to work the night shift and doesn't come home, Edie is terrified that the past has finally caught up with them. 

Alone in a strange country, Edie is afraid to call the police for fear that she'll be sent back to her abusive father. Determined to find her mother, but with no idea where to start, she must now face the most difficult decision of her life.

 Review

The concept of this book was alright and everything, but it just...wasn't for me. The whole idea of the book was unique and not really like anything I've ever read before. The main character was really moody, distrusting, and she didn't really make any stupid mistakes throughout the book, but I really didn't like how negatively she viewed everything. I can understand why she had such a dark and bleak perspective of the world and all, but it was just a little too boring and just annoying so my taste. I'm a pretty positive person, so maybe it was just because I'm unaccustomed to thinking like the way that the main character was thinking.

This book was supposed to be some sort of mystery book and all, but really, there was no mystery in the first place to me. The person that kidnapped her mother was obvious to me as soon as I read the synopsis and nothing in the plot surprised me. It was just a incredibly predictable storyline.

The thing that I really liked about this book was the writing style. Even though it was really gloomy, I liked the writing style. I just didn't like Edie's voice. It's pretty descriptive and all, but not too much. The setting definitely fit the mood of the story! Dark, gloomy England.

Even though this book wasn't that enjoyable and kind of boring at times to me, it was a really fast read, and I would recommend people to read it.