Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Bookish Pet Peeves

I'm pretty sure everyone has bookish pet peeves. Recently, I've been noticed that there are quite a lot of things that annoy me, so today I'll be making a list of them!

1. Characters with Weird Names

This honestly annoys me so much. There are some books where I like the names because I find them unique, but there are some books where the name just feels ridiculous and I don't know how to pronounce it, and that just annoys me to no extent. Like the name of a character may seem super strange to me and that may cause the book to be a turn off for me. And I wont want to read it...probably ever. But if I do read it, I'm probably not going to enjoy it as much as I may have. Some examples are names that are numbers...*cough* Four *cough* And honestly, I didn't like Four. At all. I have no idea why, but I just didn't. *runs away from the pitchforks*



2. Love Triangles

Obviously it depends on how well the love triangle is executed, but lately I've been finding a lot of love triangles in YA novels that just piss me off. It's just becoming way too overused and people really need to stop using them constantly in writing. There's only so much going back and forth between two (or in some cases more) guys that a reader can handle. Some examples of love triangles that I enjoyed were the ones in Throne of Glass,  The Hunger Games, Shadow Falls, Snow Like Ashes and Shatter Me. Some that I hated were Twilight, Matched, Fallen, and The Selection. I hate when the love triangle basically takes over the whole plot and the sole focus of the book ends up being the romance. I hate when that happens. Like if the main genre of the book is romance, then I can understand that, but it doesn't make sense when a paranormal, dystopian, or science-fiction book is filled with basically nothing but romance. 

3. Absent Parents

I find it strange that in almost every paranormal, sci-fi, or dystopian novel, there are parents that are either dead, gone somewhere, totally clueless, or don't care about their children. And it's so coincidental how in the meantime, their children are off doing something dangerous. And the parents have no idea about it. Why does it have to be like that? Is having parents in YA really an inconvenience?

4. Cover Changes


I absolutely hate it when the covers of books get changed in the middle of the series. I need to have series with matching titles and it just irritates me when they don't match. I want to get the entire series with matching covers, but I'm not wasting my money for a book that I already own. I would rather spend it on new books that I haven't read yet, so it really frustrates me when publishers decide to have a cover change in the middle of the series.


And of course, these are only a few of my many bookish pet peeves, but this list would be way too long if I included all of them. So, tell me:

Does anyone else have a pet peeve similar to mine?
What are your bookish pet peeves?